20 Questions for Mary……
Fashion Trends, October, 2017
1. Biggest local trend?
Navy is the new black
2. Newest international trend?
Embroidery on a large scale
3. What are your favourite fabrics?
Silk will always be my big love. This season includes silk velvet and faux fur.
4. Shed some light on your best silhouettes?
Lace embossed body suits
High waisted silhouettes
5. Must have accessories
Choker Silk scarf
6. Favourite colour?
BLACK!!! But at the moment one can’t go wrong with Cameo Brown
7. Predictions for the season ahead?
Yarn Dye Stripes
Embroidery will remain a strong trend
Athletic Inspired pieces
Corsetry Details with eyelets
Low heeled Mules
8. Your ‘go to’ outfit?
Silk Georgette blouse and pencil slit linen skirt
9. Flawless fashion tip?
Wear garments made of natural fabric such as silk, silk blends, cotton and linen voile. Easy elegance and classic styling.
10. A big fashion No No for you?
11. What not to throw away?
Your favorite denim blouse/pants/skirt.
12. How can you change a look in a flash?
Printed silk scarves/pashminas.
13. What are some career highlights?
Attending trade shows like Premier Vision in Paris. Buying and sourcing trips with my daughter. Any launch party of one of my clients. Launching of a stand-alone store in Mayfair, London (for a designer I consulted for) Relocating our studio to Sea Point. Being positioned on the Atlantic coast is magical and helps the creative flow!
14. How do you measure success?
Success is measured by the way in which we approach any challenge. We pride ourselves in being able to harness our clients’ greatest talents. And acknowledge the importance of keeping them motivated through development to ensure the longevity of each one of their collections.
15. Some of your most significant and enjoyable creations?
Marianne Kriel’s wedding dress
Hand beaded silk velvet bespoke dress
The first GEO by George AW17 Collection
16. Any mind blowing discoveries?
I discovered a graphic artist that can hand paint an entire brief onto a shirt button
17. Your greatest self-realization?
I will never tire in my chosen profession. Every day is a challenge. And every day I learn something new.
18. Who is your favourite designer?
19. Your firm favourite garment of all time
My sand washed black silk blouse
20. Any recommendations for young fashionistas
Research and learn as much as possible while acquiring good business acumen before considering launching your own collection.